WORK WELLNESS SERVICES
Effectively balancing the demands of unemployment, job-seeking, family, friends, finances, housing, and/or legal issues requires awareness, focused attention, and mindful decision-making. The mission of Work Wellness at HOPE is to provide students with the support they need to achieve all of their goals and to skillfully deal with life’s challenges. HOPE students engage in weekly Work Wellness classes, where they explore their values; increase awareness of diversity in the workplace; and learn stress management techniques, effective communication, and conflict resolution. Students also learn mindfulness, an evidence-based practice that incorporates breathing, meditation, guided visualization, and other relaxation techniques to help manage stress, build confidence, and succeed in the workplace and in life.
listen to this audio recording to help you shift into mindfulness right now:
you can also read below and try this Mindful Check In EXERCISE:
- Take a defined posture wherever you are...relaxed and dignified, spine tall but not stiff. Feel your feet on the ground and the support beneath you whether you are sitting or standing. If possible, close your eyes.
- Bring your awareness gently to your breath, the in-flow and out-flow of breath through your nose. Notice the quality of the breath without trying to change it, is it fast or slow, easy or labored?
- Invite the breath into your belly, feel the rise and fall of the breath, gently inviting it to soften and deepen with each movement. Feel the physical act of the breath in the body, focusing your attention here. If the mind drifts, simply notice this without judgment and return your attention to the breath.
- Notice any areas of comfort in the body and send appreciation to those areas. “Thank you knees for carrying me today” “my hands feel pretty relaxed”.
- Notice any areas of tension or discomfort and send care and breath into those areas without forcing them to be different, just offering attention and support.
- Now include your entire body in your attention, imagining the breath flowing into your whole body, into every cell, aware of the wholeness of your experience.
- When you are ready, let your eyes open, taking a moment to stretch, and setting the intention to carry this awareness and presence into the rest of your day.